Saturday, May 10, 2014

Tutorial ~ All that glitters is gold...

Hi everyone,  Josie here! Today, I'm going to give a tutorial on misting and different ways I like to do it. I absolutely adore Heidi Swapp's Color Shine in Gold. I'm so addicted to it that I use it on almost every layout these days. I'm definitely struck by the gold bug :) I have created a classy layout of black and gold, mostly using misting & Maggie Holmes Styleboard Rub Ons & Stickers. I also created my own glitter gold alphas which I will explain how to DIY below.  
 
Washi isn't just a great way to decorated your page, have you ever tried to use it as a mask? I used thin washi tapes as my mask. This is a method that you can use if you don't own a mask/stencil. I cut the tape into small strips and stuck them in a zigzag manner, repeating them about 0.5cm apart. Then, I cover the sides of the mask with paper using washi tape to hold it down.




​Next, I spray the mist onto the washi mask I made. Here I'm used Heidi Swapp's Color Shine - Gold Lame. Make sure you let the mist dry before you carefully remove the washi tapes or else you may not get crisp clean lines. You will want to remove it slowly so you don't tear the paper (some washi tapes tend to be a bit sticky). 



After removing the washi tape mask, it will look something like this. 


​Next, I used a mask that I from a cut that I had created for my Silhouette Cameo. If you would like to use the same mask, Mei Li has put it up as a free digital download you can grab it here. Similar to the washi mask earlier, I placed the mask where I wanted it to be, then cover the sides with paper and spray the mist over the mask.



Let the mist dry then remove the mask. Here's what it looks like. 


Next, I begin arranging my photo & embellishments so I know roughly where I want everything to be. These gold Maggie Holmes Styleboard rub ons are so great for gold addicts like me! A tip on using rub-ons: Cut out only the image that you wish to use instead of placing the whole sheet of rub-ons on your layout. This way you can plan where to place it and also not accidentally damage the layout.
Another great tip for rubons is, after applying the rub ons, slowly remove the transfer sheet to ensure that all areas are properly adhered. Else, slowly place it back down and rub on the area that didn't adhere properly.



Another great things to do when you can't find an alpha that is just right... create your own! I made my own gold glitter alphas by applying gold stickles to Basic grey's Micro Mono Alpha Stickers (Kraft). When working with alphas, I like to arrange the alphas on a transparent acrylic block so I can estimate where I want to place them (you can use a clear ruler as well). By doing this, you don't have to stick the alphas down just to realised they are slightly out of place, then have to remove them and stick again. Make sure you let them dry before sticking them down. Then, Wala! You have some gold glitter alpha stickers.



To finish the layout by spraying mist from about half a metre away to get that subtle starry look. I added a few more embellishments such as Maggie Holmes Styleboard Vintage Frames, Maggie Holmes Fleamarket Chipboard (I used the gold photo corners) and Maggie Holmes Styleboard gold label maker stickers. I am totally in love with the gold label stickers by Maggie Holmes, you will be seeing these on many more of my layouts! I also bet that using the same techniques with Heidi Swapp White or Silver tinsel on black would work pretty awesome as well! 


Hope you enjoyed the tutorial & I can't wait to see what you create with the techniques I have shared.

Materials Used Available at Mei Li Paperie :

No comments:

Post a Comment